Every now and then, there’s a miniature that almost seems to paint itself – like the Werebear, Blightfang was one of those miniatures. I was so immersed in the process that I didn’t take any progress photos – which is a bit of a shame as Blightfang looked so good in gold that I almost stopped there!
This is a fantastic sculpt, a delight to paint, and a good deal for the price… My only complaint is that the “Bonesium” material had warped a bit and it took a bit of work to fit everything together – often a dip in steaming hot water followed by a dip in ice cold water is enough to set a Bones miniature back in place, but sometimes it’s not enough and this was one of those times. Instead I had to pin the front leg in place as it kept on shifting off position. I also, as you may have noticed, put a circular base down as a foundation. I could have shown more artistic ambition here but I still haven’t really gotten into elaborate bases yet…maybe I’ll rebase this one day but for my current purposes this works well enough.
I started with a gold base coat over the entire body followed by overcoats of golden brown on the underscales/wings and dark red everywhere else. It doesn’t come through as clearly in the photos but this gives Blightfang a subtle shimmering aesthetic where the overcoats where thin – quite fitting for a beast that lays around in gold most of the time!
I finished up with my standard polyurethane finish followed by a spray on matte finish. I have plans to use this miniature as Ernhardur, a NPC of some importance in my upcoming Pathfinder campaign Celestial Winter, but it’s actually quite nice to finally have a proper Dragon to pull out should the occasion arise.